Friday, August 8, 2008

Who else is turning 30, finally?

In a new semi-regular feature here at "Turning 30...finally...", I'm going to profile someone else who shares my birthday of September 27, 1978. Today's special guest: Jon Rauch!

That's right, the tallest major leaguer in history and ex-Nationals bullpen stalwart has the exact same birthday as me. I think this means that we're brothers, which makes sense, since I was the tallest person on my intramural basketball team in college. And, my intramural basketball team was the worst team in our league, much like the Nats. The similarities are endless.

Of course, Rauch was traded a few weeks ago, but it's impossible to say who he plays for now. Every time I try to find out, I get distracted with stories about Lopez Lomong, whose brave flag-carrying has vaulted him to the top of the list of potential veep picks for both McCain AND Obama. Interesting.

Oh, but I digress. My point here is that very few actual celebrities share my birthday. Heck, without a big effort, I could probably make myself the most famous person in the world born on September 27, 1978. It's time to hatch a plan.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Addendum, re: intramural basketball team. I remember one game where the star of the other team was the head football coach (let's hear it for D-III sports, where the football coach plays intramural basketball!). He was so big and dominant that we became the first intramural team in history to use a zone defense, just to take the embarassment off any particular player. Good times.

patrick boniface said...

Hey Richard, when is your birthday? Is there going to be a party?