Tuesday, August 5, 2008

No cask-conditioned ale for the party!

I was just going into the store to buy some cat food this morning and happened to notice a guy in a Troeg's shirt walking by. Always vigilant for party advice and assuming (correctly, it turns out) he was the local Troeg's rep, I accosted him and asked some pertinent questions. There are two big pieces of important information that came out of this:

1. It's prohibitively expensive to get a cask of Troeg's for a party, so we'll be going with a keg. He said that in the future, if I wanted to start getting cask-conditioned ales in my house, I should buy my own cask and get breweries to fill it up. Hmmmm, maybe next year.

2. The delicious Sunshine Pils is all sold out at the brewery, so anything I find now will be old by September 27. This means that even if we decide to go with a Troeg's product, it won't be the Pils. It sounds like Hopback Amber might be just the stuff!

Should I invite the rep to the party? More stuff to think about...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what? first i find out that "we are scientists" can't make it and now no cask-conditioned ale either? geez! that's weak! will you at least have some diet coke and perhaps an ipod with some trisha yearwood? i hear that folks over 30 really like those things...

Richard said...

Think of it this way: if I told you that Bruce Springsteen wasn't playing my party, would you be bummed or would you be excited that I had even asked? See, just the fact that I've even considered getting a cask should bode well for the party.