Thursday, August 21, 2008

Birthday week is coming together nicely!

All day I've been wondering what I was going to post about. There really hasn't been much good birthday blog material, what with me cleaning the kitchen (including the top of the refrigerator!) and getting a start on school work. Heck, my one outing was to deposit a paycheck at the ATM. Even Fuggles the Cat is bored with me, I think.

Then, I saw an e-mail announcing this amazing event: http://www.capitalcriterium.com! This promises to be a perfect start to the birthday week, with a big-time bike race in downtown DC on September 21st. Best of all, the prize list for the pro race is going to be $50,000. With that much money at stake, it's quite possible that I'll have a good chance to break out my Danny "The Pate" Pate t-shirt, last seen during stage 15 of the Tour de France!

Honestly, I think this event can be amazing. It shows what happens when the mayor, a well-connected cycling club, and some big businesses all get together. I never thought I'd see DC streets close for a bike race after September 11, especially so close to the White House, so this is a promising sign that a nice level of sanity is coming back to downtown DC.

No comments: