Monday, August 11, 2008

Great reactions to my age at a house party!

My good friend and classmate Paul invited us to a house party on Swann Street on Saturday night. Being a huge fan of house parties, he didn't have to do much convincing to get us to go.

It turns out the party was in a house Paul lived in way back in the late '90's. It's been a group house ever since, but the owner finally decided to kick everyone out, fix it up, and charge market rates for the property. Punk rock is dead on Swann Street. I guess I'm surprised it actually lasted this long.

(By the way, is Swann Street where that married man got murdered while having an illicit tryst with two gay gentlemen a few years back?)

Oh, so the party was pretty fun. They had an astounding SIX kegs! Not a chance of getting through those. They also had some very dusty bottles of madeira and some type of Greek licorice liqueur that were pretty foul.

The best, though, was running into my friend Carrie who I hadn't seen in years. I told her I needed our mutual friend's e-mail address so I could invite her to my 30th birthday party, at which point Carrie actually shot beer up her nose and all over the place, while exclaiming, "You're not thirty yet?!" It was awesome.

Someone else heard I was turning 30 and fantastically deadpanned, "I don't think you'll have a very big adjustment to make." I don't really know what he meant, but I appreciated it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how many kegs are you having at your party? 1 keg for every 10 years that you've been around? remember that you'll need at least one extra keg for all the bands that are going to be playing in your basement. right!

Anonymous said...

Your friend Carrie also suggested that she and I start a blog about how people always think we're younger than we are, since apparently we don't LOOK 34. What is 34 supposed to look like? What does 29 look like?

Anonymous said...

i almost went to that party- i know some folks who live there. also, don't talk shit on six kegs. my Go Virgo birthday parties several years ago had six kegs each time, and they were usually empty by 1 am. oh, also did i mention there were usually around 300 people at them? lets see you top that, old man river.

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I've ever left a comment on one of these fancy-pants interweb diaries. And I have to say that when I turned 30, I didn't need to tell all the world about it. Back in the day we just got older in silence. So there. You young people just keep broadcasting your every movement to everyone around. You'll probably podcast the entire party over Yahootube or whatever that movie site is called. Sheesh! Screw this. I'm going to go listen to the first Dag Nasty record.