Monday, August 4, 2008

Things to do before you turn 30

I thought I would cleverly start this post with a link to a search on Amazon for books telling you things to do before you turn 30. Unfortunately, searching for "before you turn 30" led to books about things to do before you turn 40 (?) and a lot of books about finding religion as an adult. I had no idea so many 29 year olds were concerned about their spiritual life, but apparently they are. Weird.

But, I do remember when Katherine turned 30 and kept seeing lists of things she was supposed to have already done, like go to Vegas without a hotel room or skydive or run a marathon. (Does any thought go into these books? As far as I can tell, the only thing you should definitely make sure you've done is lose your virginity before you're 30 and everything else will take care of itself. I've heard that if you don't do this, you're destined for a career as a butler or manservant of some sort.) Nonetheless, all those books are out there, and I'm always a little surprised that I've done nearly everything on the lists, or something very equivalent. For instance, I'll substitute "start going bald at 16" for "dye your hair a crazy color".

Anyway, I guess the reason I'm not panicked about turning 30 is because I don't feel like I have anything else I need to squeeze in, partly because I've had some good adventures so far, but also because I don't really see adventures stopping. Like, I can't work at my current job for the rest of my life, because I don't have a job. Take that, world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT?!? You're not interested in ME????!!!

Anonymous said...

hey richard...this is Vince Neil of Motley Crue. what's up buddy? i suggest you use the lyrics from "kickstart my heart" as a guide for things to do before you're 30. also, anything involving cocaine, hairspray, and sticks of butter can be fun. take a walk on the wild side richard!

Anonymous said...

Did Vince Neil really write that? Wow he must be bored with his life or his wife.