Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Reminiscing about my 25th birthday

Well, my 30th (on September 27th!!!) should be a pretty inspired birthday, but can it top my 25th?

For my 25th, I requested that all attendees wear t-shirts with my name on them. It was pretty high concept (well, for a 25 year old) and appropriately narcissistic. Not everyone made a shirt, but enough people did to prove that the concept worked.

Instead of having people bring gifts, Patrick arranged for everyone to write complaint/compliment letters to the manufacturers of various products that I enjoy. Then, over the course of the next few months, I got the following personalized letters:
1. a weird thank you note from Andre champagne (the "letterhead" was a cutout of the Andre label taped onto plain white paper)
2. a letter from Tony Kornheiser saying that, yes, his name should be pronouned "Korn-heezer, as in 'geezer'" (why, oh why, didn't I frame this?)
3. a postcard from Jonathan Franzen apologizing for all the typos in my copy of the Corrections...and a paperback "corrected" version...from New Zealand!
4. some random coupons for Glad products

For drinks, I bought a case of Andre champagne. I think that we had something like 20 people in my one-bedroom basement apartment and went through just under 20 bottles of the stuff.

Finally, after finishing up at my place, everyone piled in two cabs and went to Hooters for wings and Miller Lite. Somewhere around my house I've got pictures of me with our waitress. If I remember correctly, I'm wearing a tie. I don't know why.

This party is going to be tough to beat, but I'm thinking that a standup comic should push my 30th over the top. Of course, I'm always open to suggestions. Keep the comments coming!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

only way to top hooters is with a trip to good guys, camelot or better yet...royal palace! oh yeah!

Anonymous said...

i suggest a road trip up to "scores" in baltimore! i haven't had a good pistol-whippin' in a while so that might be fun!
rat-a-tat-tat bitches!!!

Anonymous said...

i believe redskins cheerleaders were promised at this party as well. can you deliver this time? can you?!?!

Anonymous said...

Who was that hot chick that was with you at your party wearing a Richard W Caperton t-shirt? She must have been REALLY COOL to go hang out at Hooters with you. Wish I had a woman like that in MY life!

Anonymous said...

I'm testing out a commenting feature here. Bear with me, folks.

Unknown said...

i seem to recall that rachel and i rode our bikes around the better part of the afternoon in mt. pleasant on a richard w. caperton adventure. we ended up with an awesome toy accordion as your gift and ghetto t-shirts from the lingerie store on columbia road. we bought the girlie tees because they already had one of the letters of your name emblazoned in the middle. naturally we then used masking tape to create the other letters of your name. when we finally showed up to your apartment we kind of felt like jackasses because half the party was dressed up all fancy like and the people that were wearing richard w. caperton shirts clearly spent a lot more time in their preparation. nevertheless, we enjoyed celebrating your birth and when it was all said an done...the day went down as one of our favorites in dc. i believe we ended the day by walking home from a mustache party that we attended while you were at hooters...and yes...we used the masking tape from our rwc shirts to make ghetto mustaches. ha. en route to our apartment we thought it would be a good idea to stop by your window and pound loudly at 3 am. oops. happy birthday to you :)